Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Test of Faith

08/08/10

I had just finished spending Sunday at University helping out with the Mathematics Department at RMIT Open Day. The day was going great (free t-shirt, free food.lol) and I had met some new people too. But I would soon find out that the day was far from over.

I'm walking down Swanston Street, on my way to Flinder's Street station to catch the V-line back to Warragul. The night before, I had been working and earned about 75$. So it was all the money I had. I had been wanting a fedora hat for a while, so as I'm walking to the station, I decide to check out a couple of shops on the way. Not far before I reach one of the surf shops, I notice my homeless friend who lives on the streets of Melbourne, begging for money. His name is Leslie. I met him a while back, outside the front of Melbourne Central Station on Swanston street, and was priveleged to buy him breakfast, and to talk with him. Ever since then, we had become very good friends sharing our faith in Christ.

I then stop to talk to Leslie, to see how he is doing. He tells me he needs to get 55$ in order to pay for his accomodation for the week. As $75 is all that I have, I selfishly hesitate to give a great amount, giving him about 5$, and a book called "The Desire of Ages". I also gave him some left over food I had from the day. I had given him quite a bit of money in the past, so I reasoned with myself that I didn't have to give him that much. I felt bad,but still continued thinking only about myself, and the fedora hat. Something in my mind questioned me, "Why do you want that hat?".I would soon realize what the voice was.

I carried on my walk, around the corner, heading to the surf shop to check for hats. I then notice another man, I assumed to be homeless, sitting against the wall outside the very shop I was headed to. He had his head faced down on his bent knees. His name was Graham.I sat next to him to talk to him, to see if he was okay. He had palsy/epilepsy and was in a very poor condition. My heart just began to break as I talked with this man, and his experiences from an orphanage to the streets. From being beaten by men, to being spat on daily. From being kicked and called a retard, to continual abuse all around.  To being looked down upon as rubbish, to becoming an invisible lonely figure ignored by every person that walks by.

He needed $20 more to add to the 19$ he had managed to scramble up and beg for, in order to pay for his accommodation. I insisted to take him to the shelter, and pay for it, but the police had warned him not to, as he had been beaten in the past by imposing "helpers" who had told him the same thing and then robbed him. So I decided to give him also "The Desire of Ages", and I put the 20$ he needed inside. Gave him also a beanie, water and a sock to keep his money in. I asked him if I could pray for him, and he was happy. He also is a believer in God, in which he described to me as "the only thing keeping" him "going". So we prayed, and parted ways. His uncoordinated manner of walking shattered my heart.

Everything around instantly became worthless.All the clothes, hats and materialism that the thousands of people around me were desiring, sunk into insignificance. I suddenly felt no desire for the hat, or any "flash" materialistic things for that matter. I realized how selfish I had been. In hesitating to give money to Leslie, and desiring to adorn myself in order to bring flattery and attention. What a self-centered attitude I had assumed!!! I looked with sadness at the thousands of people, going in and out of shops all with the sole purpose of adorning themselves with fine clothing and materials. I was not condemning them, for I was in the same boat also, wanting the hat. Just the ignorance of us all...How we can just walk by a man like this, and not even give him the time of day to talk, or even an ear to listen. How wretched WE ARE WITHOUT GOD!!!

I then turn to walk away, and a woman taps me on the shoulder, in complete tears. She tells me how she witnessed the whole episode, and how "beautiful" it was to see what just happened. She tells me she is a Christian, and that her and her daughter had witnessed the whole episode with the palsy man.I had no credit to take for myself, because I know it wasn't me. It was all God. The whole reason for what happened, was because of Christ using me, and because of Christ's love for humanity.

We exchange tears, and she pulls 50$ out of her wallet, to give to me. There was no way I could take any sort of money for what had happened. It was God's work, not mine. I deserved 0$ and zero praise. But she insisted I take it. I refused, but then was forced to pocket the cash. My mind was then drawn to the remaining 50$ Leslie still needed for his accommodation. I then thank the lady, who's name is Amanda, for the money, and we part ways. I rush back around the corner to see if Leslie is still at the same spot begging, and gratefully he is :). I talk with him, and realize why I had been given the 50$. It was for Leslie's accomodation....

I had 75$ when I left uni. Leslie later needed 55$, and Graham needed $20. Amanda was going to give me 50$ later on also. I knew none of this, but failed to give because of my selfish desires.Therefore, all the money I had was sufficient to pay for both of their accomodation needs. Originally when I set out to buy the hat, all I could think about was myself, and how I wanted to look cool with the hat. But I then realized after the day was almost over, that God was teaching me a lesson of humility and selflessness. That it was his voice speaking to me, pressing me with the question of why. Had I not hesitated to give Leslie the 50$ also straight up, I would have later received the 50$ back from Amanda. I had realized that God was testing my faith in his word...

Matthew 25:34-40 : "Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

I realized that God had tested me. If that had been Jesus, would I have hesitated to give the 50$ also? No. I would have given it without question. But I hesitated, and God still provided the 50$ for Leslie. He used and impressed Amanda to give the 50$ to provide for Leslie, and put Graham there to allow that to happen.I was humbled very much by this experience. It made me realize just the extent of the selfishness of this world, and the self-centered nature of humanity, and that the only solution is Christ. The peace and joy I felt at the end of the day surpasses infinitely the feeling I would've had, had I bought the hat. The feeling is still indescribable, still today. When Leslie was hungry.When Graham was hungry.When they both needed shelter, and both were thirsty. When Graham was a stranger..God is amazing.

Amanda and her daughter had just been to a Women's Christian Conference on Friday and Saturday. She said what she just saw, outside the shop, spoke more to her then the WHOLE conference. Now I'm not putting myself at the forefront of the praise. All praise goes to God. It is by His power, this miracle occured. His power ONLY. God truly is amazing. So much more than a story. He lives...And desires the salvation of all who heed the call...He can be experienced, in reality...

The things of this world are temporary. Heavenly things are eternal.

I pray that this story blesses you all...Whether you believe in God or not...

With Love,

Orion :)

1 comment:

  1. Amen God will put these lessons in front of us and it is whether we take it or not

    ReplyDelete